There's few things about me that most people don't know. Outwardly, people know me to be generally kind, witty, intelligent, articulate and a deep thinker. If they don't, they never took the time to find out. Well, my mom, dad, brother and a couple of other people know about the forthcoming topic, but no one else. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it, but felt it time to share for any who cared to know.
It was 2002. I was absolutely bored to death one day and it took me forever to settle on a subject to "research". Up to this point, every time I had decided to go on a "fact-finding mission" it had been somewhat sexual in nature. I thought and thought and then thought, almost just in passing: "Gore....no....blood and gore!" Thinking I wouldn't find anything (or very little), I typed it in and waited for the results. I was wrong...dead wrong. HA! Terrible pun! I kill me sometimes. <----ANOTHER one. I remember the first site I checked out. This one still exists and will have the honor of being the first-ever link posted on my yet-unknown blog. Its name is Rotten.com. It was the first on the list and far be it for me to skip and jump around. I saw lots of clickable links once I arrived at Rotten and couldn't wait to delve right in. Now, before I continue, let me make clear that regardless of what you may think of me by this point, this topic was not and is not one I did/do for any sort of gratification aside from curiosity. Morbid curiosity and an intrigue at seeing the news behind the news. To this day (7 years at the time of this post), I still feel for many of the victims. If viewing such material has changed me in any way whatsoever, it has been to make me more sensitive, more compassionate and more sympathetic to what goes on all over the world.
That being said, I'll continue. The photos ranged from that of a worker that slipped and fell into a large piece of machinery and crushed. All you could see was the top of his head but it was obvious his days had ended. The machinery was halfway into his head. Then a victim of lightning from the 1920's. The bottoms of his feet, purportedly, had been blown off. (The wording dramatized this one a little more than accurate). His right leg seemed quite cooked and burnt and he was lying on a bed. His eyes are open and don't look to be wide open in a forever-frozen death stare, so I can only assume he survived and posed for the picture. I'm 99% sure this photo was on the site, deep in what would be Rotten's archives, but I just went and looked and found it on their first page. Rotten.com has lost much of its popularity for the morbid and grotesque, primarily based on the fact that they took (and still take) ages to update with new material. The key to any site, forget the content, is keeping the content fresh and they failed miserably at this. Another thing that Rotten did (and many similar sites since) was add porn. I'm not sure why porn was added in with something as "unique" as accident victims, murder victims and the like, but luckily they aren't usually found unless you choose to click on such content.
Now, touching on the types of people you'll find at such sites, aside from myself. You'd be quite surprised at some, not at all by others. You can find policemen, firemen, paramedics, morticians, nurses...tons of regular, everyday people on these sites. Now, you will find the nutjobs that seemingly "get off" on this kind of thing and those who seem to have no heart to speak of. You will also find the kind you find everywhere on the web: Balls of steel, no fear, have never been beaten down, blah blah blah.
The next site I went to I had to register to view. They had a forum and that's where the majority of everyday people would submit and/or comment/discuss the site's content. This site was Goregasm.com. Although this site still exists and where I spent a majority of my early gore-viewing days as well as became pretty close "friends" with quite a few, the site has been run into the ground. Believe me when I say you'd totally be wasting your time if you went there. It's become a ghost town and will remain that way under current management. This site has closed to new members at last check
Its sister site (owned by same man) was Ogrish.com. This site, by far, was the longest-running and most popular gore site on the net. Its down side was that it had some of the most cruel and heartless people mixed in with the good types I mentioned. It was the place to go to catch something "hot off the presses" in the way of gore. In time, and I don't know every single detail, the owner turned it into a very successful and widely-used media outlet called LiveLeak.com. Ogrish, the former leader in the gore scene has now spawned many spinoff sites.
Another one I thought had true potential (and actually did if you look at fresh content alone) was Kiuma.com. It had some submitters who brought their own resources in for fresh, not-seen-anywhere-else content constantly. It was the usual forum drama that drove me away from there. The site is now gone.
But I have to say that TheYNC is the one I go to daily now. It has up-to-date and fresh new content every day -- even some weekends.
Many sites' videos will show up on other gore/shock sites.
Believe it or not, it was this paragraph here that was my original reason for even starting this blog post. I'm now going to discuss the biggest, baddest, sweeping-the-net videos that can be found on the web and tell you my personal opinions of them and provide links when possible and or applicable. You click these, and all the other links I've posted, at your own risk. These sites aren't for the squeamish, nor are the videos I'm about to mention. I'll try my best to do them in chronological order from memory and with what little research I feel like doing:
- Chechclear: This video was the first "big thing" (that I can recall, anyway) in the shock and gore community. It features a Russian soldier being beheaded by Chechen rebels. The knife was plunged into the side of his neck while a boot stood firmly on his head. The executioner then proceeded to saw the knife outward, cutting off his head. The victim was 19 year old Evgeniy Rodyanov. (Contrary to the beliefs of those who have never viewed beheadings, they are not the swift chops and guillotines from the days of old. They are brutal, painful and much more gruesome. They are usually done with a sharp knife or machete and done so in a sawing motion. There is far more pain and suffering with this method and it takes a "unique" type of person to have the lack of a conscience to perform this act). Update: It turns out that I may have been wrong about all of the details of this one. But, that being said, you can find the new and updated details, plus a whole lot more, in my new book.
- Traingirl (as well as many other names): This developed this name because of the popular misconception that the victim was a girl when in fact it was 41-year-old Mary T. Wojtyla. She is walking with her lawyer in front of a train at rest. They then began to jog a bit, not realizing there was a train coming on the next rack. Her lawyer realized it in time, Ms. Wojtyla did not. The video features her trying to stop after it was too late, the train hits her and she flies out of frame, killed instantly.
- 2 Girls 1 Cup: This one is not gore. It's simply sick, but a viral video across the globe. It has spawned many videos of viewers' reactions as well. It features two fairly attractive Brazilian women who start a beautiful, sensual (depending on whether or not girl-on-girl does anything for you) kiss and the sucking of a breast and then it all goes straight to hell from there. Suddenly there is a glass held under one of their rectums which quite disgustingly and quite massively unloads into said glass. The rest of the video is consumption of said load and let's just say vomit comes into play.
- Mr. Hands: This one features Kenneth Pinyan. He had a thing with stallions. He liked to be sodomized by them. Well, in July of 2005, as a friend videotaped, he was given what he desired and as a result, died of a perforated colon.
- The Dagestan Massacre: This one is pretty darn hard to watch, even for veterans of the gore scene. It features 6 Russian soldiers, all around the age of 18, who were captured while guarding a small village. They were poorly trained and were captured as a result. Their captors were Chechen Mujahedeen and showed absolutely no mercy in beheading all but one of them. The one in question broke free and ran for his life but was found and shot dead. This one is particularly shocking in the fact that their captors seem so nonchalant about it. Even laughing at times. It also includes some of the most heart-wrenching cries for mercy and those of pain that I've seen.
- 2 Guys 1 Hammer: (Also referred to as 3 Guys 1 Hammer and The Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs): This video features the closest thing to true snuff that the Internet has yet to provide. Three teenagers in Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine are seen in a leaked video they filmed themselves, of them committing 1 of a total of 21 brutal murders that they were charged with. It is the single most shocking example of complete lack of a conscience, and respect for human life that I have ever seen. Three teenagers brutally slam a hammer into this man's face, stab his stomach and eyes with a screwdriver and then finish their "fun" with hammer blows to the side of the head. No matter how easily you were able to watch any other video I've mentioned here, this one will stay with you for ages.
- 1 Guy 1 Jar (and a few other names): This video features a man who thought it would be an extreme turn-on to insert a pickle jar into his rectum. Just before it's fully inserted, disaster strikes and it ain't pretty.
That was the list of the most memorable and viral videos in the shock and gore genre. Take them as warnings or as a gateway into a new morbid curiosity that you may or may not think you had in you.
There are some I didn't mention. They are just as shocking, memorable and heart-wrenching as any listed above. I believed they deserved their own list. Not because one life is more valuable than another, but because these videos were/are made primarily for one reason; as a warning to others. If you've lived life above ground over the last few years, you know that there is a war going on in Iraq. There have been journalists and contractors, among many soldiers and security forces there, that have gone to Iraq to do something to help document or help rebuild the country. Right or wrong, we're there and some feel compelled to help them if/when they need and want it. Some answered that call and paid for it with their lives.
Below is a partial list of some of the victims and a brief summary about each. Before I get to that list, let me say that this list will be far from complete. The reason is that the sad truth is this: Extremist Muslim groups kill at, what seems to most outsiders, the drop of a hat. They kill many of their own race and religion as well as any "infidel" that dishonors them, their religion, their loyalty, etc. I have seen many, many beheadings and one is just as hard to see as the next. There are simply too many beheadings that have graced the pages of the world wide web to include them all. Below are the more infamous. With help from Wikipedia, on to the list...
- Daniel Pearl:
(October 10, 1963 – February 1, 2002) was an American journalist who was kidnapped and murdered in Karachi, Pakistan. At the time of his kidnapping, Pearl served as the South Asia Bureau Chief of the Wall Street Journal, and was based in Mumbai, India. He went to Pakistan as part of an investigation into the alleged links between Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, and Al Qaeda and Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI). He was subsequently beheaded by his captors.
--In July 2002, Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, a British national of Pakistani origin, was sentenced to death by hanging for Pearl's abduction and murder.
--In March 2007, at a closed military hearing in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed said that he had personally beheaded Pearl.
- Nicholas (Nick) Berg: (April 2, 1978 – May 7, 2004) was an American businessman seeking
telecommunications work in Iraq
after the US invasion
He was abducted and later beheaded according to a video released in May
2004 by Islamic militants. The CIA claimed that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi
personally beheaded Berg.
The decapitation was released on the Internet, reportedly from London to a Malaysian hosted homepage by the Islamic organization al-Ansars. His killers claimed that his death was carried out to avenge abuses of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. soldiers at Abu Ghraib prison. This beheading and its accompanying video are somewhat controversial. Besides the obvious reason, many claim the video shows signs of Berg already being deceased prior to his beheading and audio edited in afterward.
- Eugene Armstrong: a contractor for the construction firm Gulf Supplies Commercial Services of the United Arab Emirates, was kidnapped on September 16, 2004. He was beheaded on September 20, 2004 by the Tawhid and Jihad militant group. Abu Musab al-Zarqawi admitted that he personally beheaded Armstrong.
- Jack Hensley: (September 22, 1955 – September 21, 2004) A colleague of Eugene Armstrong's, he was an American engineer from Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia, near Atlanta. While working in Iraq he was kidnapped and beheaded by terrorists.
- Kenneth Bigley (UK): (22 April 1942 - 7 October 2004). A colleague to Jack Hensley and Eugene Armstrong, he was from Liverpool, England and was a civil engineer who was kidnapped in the al-Mansour district of Baghdad, Iraq on September 16, 2004. The three men were working for Gulf Supplies and Commercial Services, a company working on reconstruction projects in Iraq. After Bigley's death, it was claimed that the British Secret Intelligence Service (commonly known as MI6) had launched a rescue operation that had allowed Bigley to escape for a brief period, but he was recaptured at a roadblock, taken back to the Tawhid and Jihad safehouse, and beheaded shortly afterwards.
These are the most "infamous" beheading videos. They barely scratch the surface, however, of the amount out there. A more complete list of the many victims and their stories can be found here.
I've tried to give you some insight into one of the more, dare I say, mature minds of someone who views and has viewed these kinds of things. Many people slow down when passing an accident scene on the highway. I, metaphorically, slow down more...and stop. What the human body can go through (and become) fascinates me. What a human being is capable of doing intrigues me. The overall human condition that we so often only hear about, I seek out. I'm, otherwise, not so different from any of you. I hope I've helped you understand the thought process and reasoning that lies within those (like me) who are able to view such atrocities and tragedies. I consider myself quite normal. This, however, is relative. I leave it to you. Thanks for reading.
Because of the constant rise and fall of these types of sites, the links I had provided for viewing and/or download were constantly having to be updated. In order to try and rectify this, I have removed them. As stated above, most, if not all, of the videos mentioned in this article are available to view free on quite a few web sites.
Until next time...
UPDATE: January 6, 2015
I've now written an ebook that includes the stories above as well as many, many more! Nowhere else online will you find all of the information provided within -- all in one place. At over 22,000 words, it will provide you with the details of many more of the most viral videos found online in this genre.
If you've enjoyed this blog post, you'll definitely enjoy the ebook! Click one of the links below to buy now!
For Kindle and Kindle for PC, click here. For iPad, Nook, PDF and others, click here. For a physical copy, click here.
I have implemented a new commenting system. Sadly, in doing so, I inadvertently lost all comments made prior to December 28, 2011. My deepest apologies to those this adversely affected. If it's any consolation, it makes my blog here look pretty darn unvisited over the years.
If this article is still online, I'll still reply to any and all comments that warrant it. Never feel like an article you view here is too old to bother with. Comments are always welcomed!
Scroll down to comment
If you attempt to comment and it fails or you see an error message, please email me immediately.